Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Doula-ing

After contemplating returning to school to become a labor and delivery nurse for the last 8 years, I finally realized that it isn't the nurse experience I want to have...I just want to be present, and supportive, and nurturing. In March, I found myself at a DONA approved Birth Doula training. Have you ever had one of those experiences where you just knew you were right where you were supposed to be? That's how I felt.

This past weekend I was hired by a couple to be their doula. I can't even explain how excited I am about this birth. I have never been present at a natural childbirth. I am nervous and yet calm, because I know that in the moment, God will lead me and show me how to support this family.

I was also, seemingly out of nowhere, hired by WIC to be a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, and the best part is I get to work from home. It's so rewarding. Some of the Moms I talk to have never seen a mother breastfeed. They aren't even sure they can do it. I love having the opportunity to encourage them and help them to understand that their bodies were created in a way that they can feed their own children.

Being a Mom to six (so far) girls, all of this has me thinking. I want my daughters to see childbirth as something that is natural and beautiful...something that a loving God has designed their bodies to accomplish. I want my daughters to breastfeed, and not feel awkward or unsure of themselves.

I am extremely excited to host a combo CAPPA Birth Doula/Childbirth Educator training in the St. Louis area next month. The trainer, Louise Delaney, of Sweet Miracles Doula is a lovely Christian woman, and I can't wait to be a part of this training and to learn from her. I also have (yet another!) website for my doula business. It is Metro East Doula. Check it out and let me know what you think!

4 comments:

Bill and Christina said...

You go girl!

kayder1996 said...

Wow! Sounds like a perfect fit!

Stefany said...

I look forward to meeting you next week. I love your blog. :)

Lande said...

Hi, I'm trying to contact the owner of this blog. Can someone e-mail me at lande@lifefilmentertainment.com? I have an opportunity I would like to propose. Thanks so much!